Postbaccalaureate Research and Education Program
Apply by April 30, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. PST
Link coming soon, email firstname.lastname@example.org to be notified when the application is live.
C-GEM is repurposing the ribosome, nature’s protein synthesizing machine, to biosynthesize genetically encoded, sequence-defined chemical polymers and natural product-like molecules with unprecedented structures, functions, and activities. C-GEM’s goal is to transform the way scientists design and produce materials and medicines.
The C-GEM PREP program is a one-year research intensive experience for students who have completed (or will complete prior to the program) a Bachelor’s degree and want to pursue a PhD in chemistry or a related discipline. The fellowship consists of 75% research in a C-GEM faculty member’s lab and 25% professional development to support participants through the graduate school application process.
- 1 year full-time program based at UC Berkeley (early July 2023 – late June 2024)
- Intensive independent research experience in a C-GEM lab (for 2023-4: Cate or Schepartz)
- Professional development workshops
- Support during the graduate school application process
- Full stipend ($31,000+) and benefits for the duration of the fellowship
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident
- Graduated or in the process of graduating with a baccalaureate degree in chemistry, biochemistry, or a related discipline, from an accredited U.S. college or university, no more than 36 months prior to applying to PREP, and are not currently enrolled in a graduate degree program.
- Will apply to a chemistry (or related) PhD program during the PREP year